PDA

View Full Version : rubarb anything

Rantol
06-24-2008, 07:50 PM
normally my grandma gives me a bunch of rubarb .... pies and sauce is all i really know how to make ..... anyone have any rubarb recipes?

Bittasa
06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
What kind of sauce? Mom used to make pies and would mix strawberries or raspberries in it. You can make a chutney with it, not sure if I still have the recipe for that.

Man I just Googled rhubarb recipes there are bunches of them.

Cribbage
06-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Rhubarb Crisp
Ingredients:
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation:
In mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and cinnamon; mix together until crumbly. Press half of the brown sugar and oats mixture into a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Top with the sliced rhubarb.
In a saucepan combine 1 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, and the 1 cup of water and vanilla. Cook together until clear, then pour over rhubarb.
Top rhubarb with remaining crumb mixture and bake at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes.

Cribbage
06-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Ingredients:
4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
5 cups strawberries, hulled, rinsed, sliced
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup Grand Marnier liqueur
3/4 cup (6 ounces) sweet butter, cut into pieces
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped pecans, slivered almonds, or other chopped nuts
Pinch salt
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 to 2 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter the bottom of a large (4-quart) baking dish. A 15x10x2-inch pan will hold 4 quarts, or use two smaller pans, such as 11x7x2-inch or 9-inch square.
In a large bowl, toss the rhubarb and strawberries with the granulated sugar and orange zest. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the liqueur and toss with he rhubarb mixture until well coated. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and set aside.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the butter, flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon with a pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in the almonds or pecans and salt, then stir in the egg with a fork until well blended. Spread the mixture evenly over the rhubarb mixture and bake for 45 minutes, or until nicely browned and bubbly. Remove from oven and keep warm while making whipped cream.

In a medium size bowl, whip the cream with the confectioners sugar until soft peaks form. Beat in the almond extract. Cut the warm crisps into squares and serve topped with generous dollops of the whipped cream.

Cribbage
06-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Rhubarb Cake
Ingredients:
4 cups rhubarb, diced
2 cups strawberries
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 egg whites
Preparation:
Pour boiling water over the diced rhubarb and allow to stand for about 15 minutes. Drain rhubarb and place in sauce pan; add strawberries. Mix flour with 3/4 cup sugar then add to fruit. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add beaten egg yolks; stir to blend well. Pour into a square baking dish. Beat egg whites until stiff; gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Drop beaten egg whites in mounds on top of fruit in baking dish. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until meringue is slightly browned. Serve either hot or cold.

Cribbage
06-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Rhubarb Pudding Cake
Ingredients:
5 cups sliced rhubarb
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
whipped cream or whipped topping, optional

Preparation:
In a 3 quart shallow baking dish mix rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar. Mix the all purpose flour, the 1 cup sugar, the whole wheat flour, pecans, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in milk and melted margarine. Spread batter evenly over rhubarb sugar mixture. Mix 1 1/4 cups sugar and cornstarch. Add 1-1/4 cups boiling waters; stir till sugar dissolves. Slowly pour over the batter. Bake in 375 oven for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in center of top crust. If necessary, cover the last 10 minutes to keep it from browning too much. Serve warm with whipped topping, whipped cream, or ice cream.

Cribbage
06-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Ingredients:
Pastry for a 2-crust 9-inch pie
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoon quick cooking tapioca
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash ground cinnamon
3 cups 1/2 inch pieces fresh rhubarb
1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
1 teaspoon grated orange rind (optional)
1 tablespoon butter

Preparation:
In a large bowl mix together the sugar, tapioca, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Add the rhubarb, strawberries, and orange rind and stir until the mixture coats the spoon. Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry; spoon in the strawberry rhubarb mixture. Dot the top of the strawberry rhubarb mixture with the butter. Cover the pie with rolled out pastry; crimp edges. Bake in a preheated 400 oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until crust is browned.
Serve pie warm with with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Rantol
06-25-2008, 12:20 AM
wow thanks leth .... the sauce i make is prety much just apple sauce recipe but use rubarb and strawberry.... its really strong tasking and good on icecream

Myphat
06-25-2008, 04:32 AM
I got a killer Rhubarb Jam will post very soon!

Deft
07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
My mother-in-law made the Rhubarb crisp. It was awesome. Thanks for posting the recipe Leth.