PDA

View Full Version : Errors and EQ: help!

Jordanth
02-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Ok, for some reason I can no longer log into Everquest. I start up the program, log in to my account, patch and then once patch is done it starts heading toward character screen, but before getting there i keep getting this wierd error. I havn't changed anything recently except my monitor which would not be causin this. Running windows 7 ultimate, and i dont know if this is some kind of compatability issue but i cannot get past it. Tried full scan, updates, tried reinstalling the game and I still get the following error message right before server select:

The Instruction at 0x03a2fcde referenced memory at 0xfffffffc. The memory could not be read.
Click ok to terminate the program.

I've done all that I can think of and have no solution, anyone know something to try before i listen to customer support tell me to do a full update 1 billion times to fix the problem?
thanks in advance.

Cribbage
02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Most likely been a few updates since last time you played. My guess is its your UI. Go into your EQ folder, find your ini file for your character. UI_Jordanth_cazic.ini

open in notepad. change the line UIskin=
Change what is after = to Defalult.

Try to log in. Other thing is, it could be a bad memory module. Can run ultimate boot disk (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/)to test ram.

Leth

Jordanth
02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Definitely not my UI files. I can't even make it to server select on either of my accounts. Will try testing ram next I suppose, but that also seems a bit far fetched.

Tico
02-02-2010, 09:40 PM
That is an issue with Windows 7 and permissions. There is a thread on the EQ boards. I believe you have to set several files to run with admin rights.

Cribbage
02-02-2010, 10:21 PM
ugh, at least with Vista it was only 1 file.

Jordanth
02-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I can't find anything like that on eq forums, got a link per chance?

Cribbage
02-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Will try testing ram next I suppose, but that also seems a bit far fetched.

I only mention this because I fought issues with one of my computers for over a year. Random blue screens, lock ups for no apparent reason, crash to desktop from character select. All the Sony forums said was it was a Windows issue... Microsoft said it was an EQ issue in their knowledge base. Finally I tried UBD on a whim and low and behold, it was a bad ram stick.

Not finding the thread that Tico is referring to, but for giggles... run the options button on the launcher and set your graphics to 800x600.

sillaen
02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I only mention this because I fought issues with one of my computers for over a year. Random blue screens, lock ups for no apparent reason, crash to desktop from character select. All the Sony forums said was it was a Windows issue... Microsoft said it was an EQ issue in their knowledge base. Finally I tried UBD on a whim and low and behold, it was a bad ram stick.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. I just pulled out the ram sticks 1 by 1 until I found the bad one and removed it. Hasn't happened since.

Kafu
10-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Sweet, this helped me just today, what fun!

Bittasa
10-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I have Win 7, the only problem I had with EQ was it kept loosing the maps. Someone from Raspters told me to create a folder outside "programs" folder to install EQ. Since doing that I have not had issues with maps. I do, however, always run my computer as the administrator. As I recall, there was a box also to check on EQ to always run it as administrator.

Ronian
10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
When I got Windows 7 Tico and I both had problems running EQ. We did find some posts on the forums. I am trying to remember exactly what we did to mine. I think I put EQ directly on the c drive and not into program files and then we had to change some internal scripts in EQ itself which are posted on the eq boards. I fought the same problem you are having for a week straight. Once that was all done I created a shortcut that lead to the EQ exe. Be sure to run EQ as admin. No problems since then. Tico may have more details I am to old to remember all that trivial stuff.

Try this link I think this is it http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=157144

Satrn
10-27-2010, 04:48 AM
I had a similar problem with the laptop, install the launcher into c:/ program files, but make a "games folder" in c: if you dont allready have it, and install via the path installedgames/everquest etc and makes sure tha launcher points to it. For some reason win 7 doesnt like applications and games [atching to c;/program files and will start to write to ghost folders unless you do this its odd, but once i did that everything started to work just fine, and btw until i put in a new copy of eq i had to continually delete equi.