PDA

View Full Version : Omg

lilasak
04-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Well, I just finalized my retirement. I am officially retired from the Army. I couldn't wait for this day to come until I got the final signature and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have been in the military since right out of high school. It has been the only thing I have known for 14 years. It was the one thing I did well. It basically defined who I was. I was a Soldier. Now at the age of 33 I don't know who or what a am anymore, nor do I know what I want to be when I grow up. The future is unknown, and with a wife, a kid, a mortgage, and a car not along with all the other usual bills, I have just found my self more scared of what may or may not come than anything I have ever seen in my 3 tours of combat in Iraq. It is funny how things turn out. The things you want the most sometimes turn out to be the things you need the least.

Gargamesh
04-25-2010, 08:11 AM
The Transformation to civilian life is not as difficult as people make it sound. I am a 8 Year Vet of the Navy with a tour in the Gulf in `91 and have been out for almost 16 years now. Get a resume together and look into the resources the Army has at your disposal for finding a Job. While you look, take some part time classes to help train you in a field or occupation you like. Teaching is always a good option.

None the less dont be scared, grab your life by the boot straps just like you did every morning in the Army and make it happen. There are plenty of good paying jobs out there for people just like yourself. What was your MOS in the Army? As long as it was something more then Bazooka Loader you should be fine.

Also remember that you need to move to where the jobs are. Many people make the mistake of thinking they will just move back home and find a job, wrong. Stay put until you find a job, be willing to move anywhere, and you will eventually be surprised at who is willing to hire you.

Civillian life is a change after so long in Military routine, but its not that hard of a transition. Good Luck!

Sheitan
04-27-2010, 12:35 AM
if you show no fear in the face of battle, then a stack of bills should have no effect.

you can leave the military, but the military never leaves you. stay strong.

Araden
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Good luck Lilasak. When I got out of the Navy I had no job but I had 7 years as a machinist mate maintaining various ships auxillary systems. 2 weeks later I was employed.

Not everyone is so lucky, but always be positive. There are many military friendly employers out there. I will come back tomorrow and post one of the useful resources links from the Navy Times article I read today that had a couple links for service members getting out.

Ilmaryn
04-28-2010, 11:57 PM
I was in the Army for five years, left at 26, went back to college with the G.I. Bill and was lucky enough to get a job working for DoD as a civilian. Fast forward to 10 years later and I am making way more money than I ever could have in the military, have a great career and love my job.

It's easier also, if you had a security clearance in the military, the civilian employers and government contractors really like that. There are alot federal jobs out there for military folks. You get veterans preference too.

Lostsock
04-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Use that GI money and go to college or a trade school. Thing will not be easy unless you have advance eduction in the coming years.

lilasak
05-06-2010, 07:16 PM
thank you for all your words of wisdom and encouragement. I started dropping resumes hard and heavy on Monday, got on monster, and career builder. been only a few days and my phone is already blowing up with peeps wanting to interview me.

Veauamil
05-20-2010, 07:19 AM
You'll do fine Boss. While being a civilian may be culture shock from being a soldier, the military taught you the skills to overcome and succeed.

/salute