PDA

View Full Version : SOE security

Tico
07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
SOE Security Authenticators

Smedley apologized for the recent hacker attack that shut down SOE's services for a couple weeks in May and announced that new security authenticator keychains will go live in all games tomorrow, July 8. Everyone at Fan Faire will be getting one for free. Also, free mobile versions will be available for the iPhone and Android devices in the coming weeks.

Cribbage
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Thinking this may make up my mind on something I've been debating of late

Cribbage
07-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Hold that thought... as long as I only have to link 1 authenticator to all my accounts and don't have to keep track of 3 of them it may be ok.

Namao
07-09-2011, 09:05 AM
I have a authendictor for my WoW account and it works beautifully ... haven't had an issue since I got it :)

Justsexy
07-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Authenticator??

Satrn
07-09-2011, 06:10 PM
yes JS it's a keychain that has an algorythm built in linked to you account, that only you can log into. it prevents hacking etc. it also prevents anyone from gaining any access to your accounts financial records unless they have the algorythm. (turned on at exactly the same time you linked it to your account. its damn tough to do as the math involved is staggering

Justsexy
07-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Soo that means that you cannot box someone else's account then unless you have the thingie?! Well Pfffft!! LOL

Deathredeemer
07-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Well you can unless they put an authenticator code on that account.. if not your good.

Veauamil
07-11-2011, 08:59 AM
yes JS it's a keychain that has an algorythm built in linked to you account, that only you can log into. it prevents hacking etc. it also prevents anyone from gaining any access to your accounts financial records unless they have the algorythm. (turned on at exactly the same time you linked it to your account. its damn tough to do as the math involved is staggering

I am presuming this is a digital 'keychain'? Where/how is it acquired?

Deathredeemer
07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
To put the algorithm t in lamen terms.. lets say your password is FFisthebest this after a few number crunches etc and what ever else might come out to 014234215 or a mix of letters and numbers (hexidecimal) 1B493D etc etc.

Cribbage
07-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I am presuming this is a digital 'keychain'? Where/how is it acquired?

If you have a smart phone or ipod its free from the itunes or android store. Otherwise you can buy a keyfob from Sony I'm assuming if its like WoW. Since they are giving them to everyone at Fanfair I assume the fob will be made availible to anyone that wants one. This is voluntary btw if I'm reading it right. You don't have to participate, it just offers another layer of security.

Satrn
07-11-2011, 04:32 PM
personally i like it, although atm I dont plan on getting one, for those that do it is just like lethandor said an added means of preventing access to someone that would steal from their account. it would prevent account sharing, or botting etc. as well, so it makes it a lot less attractive for those of us that bot our buddies and have friends that use our toons on occasions.