PDA

View Full Version : Roast Stuffed pumpkin

greychild
12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Ingredients
-baking pumpkin - I try for about 6-8inches high and 8-10 inch diameter (ie, just about the smallest I can get my hand into all the way)
- 1 cup white rice (cooked) - so about 1/3 c raw
- 1/2 cup wild rice (cooked) - so about 1/4 c raw (I use stock, can use water)
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 8 oz (pork) sausage
- small can creamed corn
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalk celery
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 2 Tbl (tablespoons) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (teaspoon) ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Salt & pepper "to taste"
- 1/2-1Tbl Worcesterschire sauce
If the numbers for rice etc are too awkward - double the recipe and just serve the leftover stuffing on the side :)

Cut the top off the pumpkin at a fairly steep angle (it will get replaced during cooking so it needs to be able to sit)
Clean the pumpkin of seeds and strings thoroughly. I dry and toast the seeds for munching. Rub the inside (include top) of pumpkin with Worcestershire sauce.
Heat oven to 400 degrees F - make sure your oven shelves are positioned so you can fit the pumpkin inside.
Prepare the rices. Chop the apple, nuts, onion, mushrooms and celery.
Heat the olive oil and saute the onion and celery. Add the sausage and brown it, add mushrooms and cook. Drain fat/oil. Add in the rices, creamed corn, apple, raisins, nuts and spices. Add S&P to taste. Mix well, and fill the pumpkin (you can go pretty much to the top) with the mix.

If the pumpkin top has a stalk, cover that with aluminum foil to limit burning. Put the top on the pumpkin and put the pumpkin on a baking sheet or 8x8 baking pan. Roast it for 1 hour. The skin will blister noticeably.
Cut into wedges and serve - A pumpkin this size will usually serve ~8 people easily or nearly double that as a side dish.
If you make the pumpkin and mix in advance and put them in the fridge, bring the pumpkin to room temperature and warm the mix in a microwave before stuffing and baking.
Happy holidays :)

Veauamil
07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
I am going to use this recipe. It reads as a particularly yummy result!

Kalley Respire'Vital
07-31-2013, 05:40 PM
:cheerleader: